Skip to main content

Forks.


There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which taken at the flood leads on to fortune.

Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,

And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose all our ventures. 


These lines were spoken by Shakespeare through the guise of Brutus in 'Julius Caesar'. Had my high-school English text not contained lessons on Shakespeare's plays, my thoughts would never have been influenced or widened to the level it currently has been now. The above quote has been one of many that I have tried to understand and also could relate myself to, during my trysts with life's curves.

Being an open-minded person comes with its own travails. Acquaintances dismiss you off with a wave of the hand or a shrug of the face whenever you contradict society's opinion. Friends do not quite grasp your flight of thoughts and utter all-too-familiar refrains of exasperation. To ride all this and remain practically and happily approachable, the above quote rings in my ears and soothes my mind.

There is a tide in the affairs of men:
This line is an arresting opening that gives the reader a peek into the topic that he wishes to convey. Commonly, the word 'affair' is positively associated with a negative connotation of romance. However, that solely is not the objective. Affairs here encompasses the entirety of all the happenings in the life of an adult. At every such juncture, the man has two options before him. Two roads that he can equally and possibly traverse. These two might be equally difficult or one might prove to be easy. To be equipped mentally when facing such situations enables men to take 'right' actions, however tough or easy they may be. To ride a wave correct and safe, you need to be at the crest and respect the tide. To ride a road correct and safe, you need to know the forest and select the path.

Which taken at the flood leads on to fortune:
What image does the word 'flood' form in your mind? To me, it is a huge body of water rushing towards me and flooring me in its wake. Here, 'flood' refers to a huge body of knowledge rushing to occupy your mind and flatten your senses. Only when you respect the tide you are in can you understand its undulations and wrest control at the right moment. And that's when you take the right decisions. In hindsight, the human mind attributes it only to fortune and conveniently ignores and/or undermines the effort that men took to make that fortune happen.

Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries:
All the education gained in one's formative years will bear fruit only at the time of such decisions. These decisions can be taken in consideration of all surrounding events and need not necessarily conform to society. If forgotten, a man's journey will be mired in, as the author says, 'shallows' and 'miseries'. Note how he beautifully forms a perception of depth in the reader's mind through these two words.

On such a full sea are we now afloat:
Such decisions need to be taken once an age of responsibility and maturity has been biologically reached. So says society. How conveniently does it ignore the emotional and mental reach! Shakespeare doesn't. This line is applicable to persons of any biological age. And therein lies another amazing skill of this author! Catering to individuals across inflicted boundaries.

And we must take the current as it serves
Or lose all our ventures.

This line sums up the entire point of how one should live out one's life. Sans cribbing, sans a victimized feeling, one should play the game with cards that are dealt out from the pack. You may argue that no event in life is random and that each happens for a reason. Those reasons may materialize and amaze us over time. However, the catch is that we tend to recognize and regret or rejoice at our actions only in hindsight. We quite conveniently react to all such events when it requires of us a response. Either of that is an action and that is precisely what Shakespeare advises us to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of sport, music, and dance.

Having born into a TamBrahm family, it was a default that I had to be surrounded by these three elements. Apart from the constant exhortation to ‘succeed’ in our grades at school, due to the alignment that we are part of (I do not want to use the word caste), our conversations hinged and revolved on majorly these three topics. Granted, there were exceptions according to each household and each parental mindset, but either all, or one, at the least, of these, were definitely a part of every TamBrahm household. Now, why am I ranting about these elements, in general or in separate? What spurred me to thrash out this piece on a non-eventful day? Why should I be putting these words to a screen for the world to read? How am I doing this (brace yourself for free advice on writing!)? When did the material for this piece (only intangible, unfortunately. I revel in them) originate? I will answer these questions, and you , the reader, be the judge of whether to skim, scan, or sprint from this pie

On P.G.Wodehouse and why he should be read more.

I enjoyed reading Saumya Balasubramanian's article in the Open page dated 16-JUNE-2019 (Wodehouse, undistilled). I truly believe this world needs to be made aware and talked of PGW's works more than it currently is now. I am all of 25-years old and I was initiated into the world of Wodehouse by my family who were and still are crazy fans of the author's oeuvre. When everyone around me was fervently and reverently talking of Jeeves, I would be gnawed by a feeling of being left out. Of knowing zilch about this fictional character who apparently had given and still gives a glut of laughs when his exploits were explored in family conversations. To add more salt to this wound, my aunt would relate anecdotes wherein she used to fight with her cousins and uncles and father of how and where Jeeves had been right and wrong.  I would feel frustrated at not being a member of this league and I resented that. One fine rummy day, I took a leap of faith from my staple reads of Hardy B

Thoughts into the abyss.

Do we think? Do we truly think? Response 1: Yes we do. We think and decide the food to be consumed daily, we think and plan ahead to reach our workplace or educational institution on time. We do think. A lot. Response 2:  Be more specific please. The universe is a melting-pot of disciplines. Where specifically is the area that you want me to base my answer to that question on? Response 3: What I think and profess to the world outside will be far different and occasionally be unreasonable to you. For this reason, I shall not answer the question. Response 4: We stress our brains quite intensely at the workplace or at the educational institution. Please do not plead with me to think anymore than I already do. Response 5: The age for thinking has passed me. Let me spend my days relaxing and taking rest after having run a metaphorical marathon my whole life. These are the typical comments that I could distill from my mind, imagining a situation where individuals of varying ages are