Skip to main content

The glory of intangibility.

Admittedly, the title reeks of sophistication and mumbo-jumbo. Yet, read me out, persist and put in an effort to understand the lines.

As individuals, I reckon all of us are obsessed with the notion of quantifying. We set ourselves standards and goals. Unfortunately, with an intent and a foresight that such-and-such goal should be established as 'achieved' or 'failed' to the world at large, we begin to set yardsticks and measurable results. Few of the common goals that I have heard people set for self include 'losing 5 kg in 60 days', 'securing a 90% score in the upcoming exams', 'walking 30 minutes a day', 'burning X calories per day' and so on. I concur with the argument that certain goals need to be quantified as a measure of evaluation. However, I counter-argue that metrics need not be and should not be set for goals that are put in place with an intent to improve an individual's quality of life. The word 'quality of life' evokes majorly the feeling of accruing materialistic entities and the facilities available towards offering a comfortable life for the family. Quite ironically, that's quantity and not quality.

By quality of life, I intend to convey the most often neglected facets of emotional quality and intellectual quality. A person might have an high emotional quotient and yet, this is not displayed to people around him. He knows and understands that he has this emotional quality in him and basks internally. Another person might be intellectually sound, capable of deconstructing a personal issue scientifically and rationally. He does allow a certain suitable measure of scientific and logical intervention in resolving important emotional issues. Such goals do not warrant evaluation from the world or the society. It can only be construed as 'achieved' or 'failed' solely by the self.

I revel in the intangibility that these goals offer. You need not inform the society that you are aiming for a certain goal to be achieved since the end is not something quantifiable. Not something measurable. Not something tangible. It cannot be constrained and set within numbers. This awakens in oneself a wholesome feeling of satisfaction, fulfillment and joy at achieving an intangible goal. You get to understand your inner self better. A sense of liberation and freedom results when you try and succeed in understanding what makes you emotionally and truly happy. Materialistic pleasures are quite needed and they very much aid us in making our daily lives easy and by extension, happy. However, they offer you only pleasure, not joy. Ease, not exertion.

This concept of intangibility ties in with a previous post of Thoughts into the abyss?. I emphasize that there is quite a growing need to understand one's self better. Not that there was an era when this need was only a 'want'. On a tea-setting conversation the other day, a friend quipped "Like a pack of cards, my subject knowledge crumbles on poking its edges with a stick".  The same argument can be employed in the case of knowing yourself. We cocoon ourselves in a nice cozy shell where we would like none in the society to question our beliefs and ideals , actions or thoughts. A few of them may be rational yet we fear that an eloquent argument from the alter-voice of self or a confident voice from the society may render it the opposite. The consequences of such well-founded yet should-be-destroyed fears are several and mentally debilitating. And they are intangible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of sport, music, and dance.

Having born into a TamBrahm family, it was a default that I had to be surrounded by these three elements. Apart from the constant exhortation to ‘succeed’ in our grades at school, due to the alignment that we are part of (I do not want to use the word caste), our conversations hinged and revolved on majorly these three topics. Granted, there were exceptions according to each household and each parental mindset, but either all, or one, at the least, of these, were definitely a part of every TamBrahm household. Now, why am I ranting about these elements, in general or in separate? What spurred me to thrash out this piece on a non-eventful day? Why should I be putting these words to a screen for the world to read? How am I doing this (brace yourself for free advice on writing!)? When did the material for this piece (only intangible, unfortunately. I revel in them) originate? I will answer these questions, and you , the reader, be the judge of whether to skim, scan, or sprint from this pie

On P.G.Wodehouse and why he should be read more.

I enjoyed reading Saumya Balasubramanian's article in the Open page dated 16-JUNE-2019 (Wodehouse, undistilled). I truly believe this world needs to be made aware and talked of PGW's works more than it currently is now. I am all of 25-years old and I was initiated into the world of Wodehouse by my family who were and still are crazy fans of the author's oeuvre. When everyone around me was fervently and reverently talking of Jeeves, I would be gnawed by a feeling of being left out. Of knowing zilch about this fictional character who apparently had given and still gives a glut of laughs when his exploits were explored in family conversations. To add more salt to this wound, my aunt would relate anecdotes wherein she used to fight with her cousins and uncles and father of how and where Jeeves had been right and wrong.  I would feel frustrated at not being a member of this league and I resented that. One fine rummy day, I took a leap of faith from my staple reads of Hardy B

Thoughts into the abyss.

Do we think? Do we truly think? Response 1: Yes we do. We think and decide the food to be consumed daily, we think and plan ahead to reach our workplace or educational institution on time. We do think. A lot. Response 2:  Be more specific please. The universe is a melting-pot of disciplines. Where specifically is the area that you want me to base my answer to that question on? Response 3: What I think and profess to the world outside will be far different and occasionally be unreasonable to you. For this reason, I shall not answer the question. Response 4: We stress our brains quite intensely at the workplace or at the educational institution. Please do not plead with me to think anymore than I already do. Response 5: The age for thinking has passed me. Let me spend my days relaxing and taking rest after having run a metaphorical marathon my whole life. These are the typical comments that I could distill from my mind, imagining a situation where individuals of varying ages are