Skip to main content

Chaotic Notes!



Music interests me so much! I have been trying to figure out a reason behind the seemingly mundane notes interspersed in a queer manner, fascinating me so much. IT WAS JUST CHAOS, I told my cynical self. But Dan Brown or some guy, said "There is order in chaos". And I had my self saying to another of my self "How is this possible? Isn't the very definition of chaos, the lack of order?" This quote stuck with me, like a lizard's legs adhering to the wall. Everywhere I see chaos, I try to sniff a whiff of a pattern, an order, or anything that will help me to understand and organize it. And regarding music, I stumbled upon this very order when hearing a soulful tune and unleashing my long reined-in imagination. What I uncovered was this. The creativity that has to be put in, the twist and turn that the mind that a mind has to undergo to the point of craziness, in search of a tune that would be radically different from all the tunes that had been rolled out in the duration of the past, say 100 years, is no non-Herculean task! The duration is surely more than that, but the point here is musicians have to think creatively, and assemble radically new, metaphysical tunes into realms that laidback listeners can perceive and appreciate. They have to make their tune stick in the listener's mind. A song when casually heard for the first time, must captivate the listener enough, to lure him back for a second, a third, and more than even a fourth time.

Equally important are the lyrics of a song. The discerning listener might tend to veer towards the significance of the lyrics along with the tune, in appreciation or depreciation of the song. Songs will fall flat, if the tune is catchy and feel-good, while the lyrics are not. All these days, in the modern era, I have seen a lot of crass lyrics making their way into songs, that otherwise have a beautiful tune to it. Erstwhile lyricists are to be applauded in this facet. They penned lyrics for a song, using a four-pronged approach; the composer, their own self, the audience and the movie's situation. Do the modern-day lyricists write songs just to captivate the masses for a short period of time? Or do they have any intention of scripting a long-enduring legacy, I wonder. We still have not forgotten "Atho andha paravai" song's lyrics or " Tharai mel pirakka vaithaan" lyrics, because they plucked our heart's strings at a deeper and a more relatable level. These two songs, chosen randomly and on a quick thought to prove my point, can be emotionally connected with, by any individual, regardless of his age. You are sad, then the latter song, will show you certain truths of life. You are happy, then the former song will show you the joy that LIFE is. Do the present-day lyrics do that to us? You be the judge. I will leave with a couple of lines from a Shakespearean sonnet, to kindle the fire within you which you may not know of, yet.

Mark how one string, sweet husband to another,
Strikes each in each by mutual ordering;
Resembling sire and child and happy mother,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of sport, music, and dance.

Having born into a TamBrahm family, it was a default that I had to be surrounded by these three elements. Apart from the constant exhortation to ‘succeed’ in our grades at school, due to the alignment that we are part of (I do not want to use the word caste), our conversations hinged and revolved on majorly these three topics. Granted, there were exceptions according to each household and each parental mindset, but either all, or one, at the least, of these, were definitely a part of every TamBrahm household. Now, why am I ranting about these elements, in general or in separate? What spurred me to thrash out this piece on a non-eventful day? Why should I be putting these words to a screen for the world to read? How am I doing this (brace yourself for free advice on writing!)? When did the material for this piece (only intangible, unfortunately. I revel in them) originate? I will answer these questions, and you , the reader, be the judge of whether to skim, scan, or sprint from this pie

On P.G.Wodehouse and why he should be read more.

I enjoyed reading Saumya Balasubramanian's article in the Open page dated 16-JUNE-2019 (Wodehouse, undistilled). I truly believe this world needs to be made aware and talked of PGW's works more than it currently is now. I am all of 25-years old and I was initiated into the world of Wodehouse by my family who were and still are crazy fans of the author's oeuvre. When everyone around me was fervently and reverently talking of Jeeves, I would be gnawed by a feeling of being left out. Of knowing zilch about this fictional character who apparently had given and still gives a glut of laughs when his exploits were explored in family conversations. To add more salt to this wound, my aunt would relate anecdotes wherein she used to fight with her cousins and uncles and father of how and where Jeeves had been right and wrong.  I would feel frustrated at not being a member of this league and I resented that. One fine rummy day, I took a leap of faith from my staple reads of Hardy B

Thoughts into the abyss.

Do we think? Do we truly think? Response 1: Yes we do. We think and decide the food to be consumed daily, we think and plan ahead to reach our workplace or educational institution on time. We do think. A lot. Response 2:  Be more specific please. The universe is a melting-pot of disciplines. Where specifically is the area that you want me to base my answer to that question on? Response 3: What I think and profess to the world outside will be far different and occasionally be unreasonable to you. For this reason, I shall not answer the question. Response 4: We stress our brains quite intensely at the workplace or at the educational institution. Please do not plead with me to think anymore than I already do. Response 5: The age for thinking has passed me. Let me spend my days relaxing and taking rest after having run a metaphorical marathon my whole life. These are the typical comments that I could distill from my mind, imagining a situation where individuals of varying ages are